Graphics tutorial #02: Graffiti Sketch
- Draw a simple pencil or pen sketch.
- Character part: Cat itself, and a bowl [1 minute].
- Lettering [1 minute].
- Line thickenings [1 minute].
- Scan as a black-and-white bitmap. [1 minute].
- Correct drawing a little. [5 minutes].
- Put this layer to the top.
- Set a Blending mode for it to Multiply.
- Now you have a black outline.
- Take a shot of some city wall [1 minute].
- Transfer it in LAB Color mode and correct levels.
- Put this layer to the bottom.
- Now you have an underlying texture.
- For brighter experience you can take a middle tone and overlay your texture with it.
- Eyedropper tool.
- Create a new layer.
- Alt-Backspace (fill it with this color).
- Set its Blending mode to Overlay.
- Create a new layer for color painting between the black outline and the underlying texture.
- Draw with a Pencil Tool a rough mask covering outline [1 minute].
- Cut the mask to the outline with Polygonal lasso tool (L) or Edit with quick mask mode (Q) using graphic tablet in a Pencil tool (B) mode [2 minutes].
- Lock transparent pixels for this layer (/).
- Now you have an underpainting [preparations took about 10-15 minutes in total].
- Start painting on it.
- Stop painting on it. [15-20 minutes of painting + 10-15 minutes of preparations = about half an hour total].